Design for St Radagunda Stained Glass Window by Edward Burne-Jones, 1866
Design for stained glass. Wearing loosely-flowing robes, St Radegunda stands with a tall staff in her right hand whilst reading a book she holds in her left. 'St Radagunda’ is a design for stained glass provided by Burne-Jones for the east window of All Saints Church in Cambridge. This church provided one of the earliest commissions for stained glass received by Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co.. St Radegunda was a sixth-century German-born queen who fled her husband to found the Abbey of the Holy Cross at Poitiers in France. In 1496 the site, endowments and ruined buildings of the priory of St Mary and St Radegunda, a Benedictine convent just outside Cambridge, were used to found Jesus College and St Radegunda was named as one of the new College’s three patron saints.