This collar of this cream jug of bulbous form with an angular handle is painted by hand with slightly worn decoration of green leaves and red flowers, interspersed with the calligraphic repeating monogram ‘EW’. The handle is decorated with black leaves and the base is painted with a green and black leaf. The base is painted in black 'DANEWAY HOUSE 1922' with the monogram of Louise and Alfred Powell and the impressed 'WEDGWOOD' mark; This is the largest of three matching jugs of graduated size decorated for Emery Walker by the Powells. Daneway was Emery Walker's country House at Sapperton, Gloucestershire, from 1922 to 1933. Alfred Powell (1865–1960) was an architect and designer who, with his wife Louise (1882–1956), designed and decorated ceramics for Wedgwood, and taught decorating skills to the Wedgwood staff. The Powells made their home in the Cotswolds from the 1920, first at Tunley, part of the Daneway estate, near Emery Walker's country home and later near Rodmarton, a manor house that was a shared project by a number of Arts and Crafts designers in the area seeking to bring back traditional skills.
height — 14.3cm.