These colourless glass claret glasses were made by James Powell & Sons at the Whitefriars Glassworks, London. Designed by Philip Webb, they were intended for William Morris to use at Red House, Bexleyheath, south London, his home from 1860 to 1865, which was also designed by Webb. The form of the glass is simple, its cylindrical bowl decorated with eight green-glass applied prunts or bosses. The glasses were included in Webb’s bequest of possessions to Emery Walker in 1915. These claret glasses are part of a large number of designs for table glass, including port and hock glasses, designed by Webb for Powell & Sons. Note: object 00328, a pair of Philip Webb claret glasses with green prunts, are part of this set of table glass. Philip Webb (1831-1915) was an English architect and designer. He was often called the 'Father of the Arts & Crafts Movement'. Members of the Movement were concerned about the effect of industrialisation on design and traditional craft and sought a new approach to the creation of decorative art. Webb designed many houses but also furniture, glass, tapestries, and stained glass for Morris. Marshall, Faulkner & Co. (of which he was a founding partner) and for Morris & Co.