This glazed cream-coloured earthenware Wedgwood dish was painted by Alfred Powell with a view of the riverside garden of Daneway House, the Cotswold manor house rented by Emery Walker from 1922 to 1933. Its base is inscribed with a dedication from him to Walker dated May 1924. Alfred Powell (1865–1960) was an architect and designer. He and his wife Louise Powell (1882–1956) painted landscape scenes with architecturally accurate buildings on ceramics, often in underglaze blue and with repeating patterns based on leaf forms, inspired by their love of nature. The Powells designed pottery for Wedgwood, painted many pieces themselves and trained female painters at the Wedgwood factory. The Powells were deeply involved with the Arts and Crafts Movement in the Cotswolds. From the 1920s they lived at Tunley, previously part of the Daneway estate, near Emery Walker, and later near Rodmarton, an Arts and Crafts manor house, the building and furnishing of which was a shared project with other Arts and Crafts workers.