Although not the first wallpaper designed by William Morris, it was the first designed by him to be issued by Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co., in 1864. A popular choice for bedrooms, it is used at Emery Walker’s House in the main bedroom, and in what was Emery Walker’s bedroom on the top floor. Like the other Morris papers in the house, it was probably hung when Walker decorated the house following his acquisition of the freehold of 7 Hammersmith Terrace in 1924. For Daisy, Morris was inspired by a medieval illustration of a wall hanging in a manuscript in the British Library of Jean Froissart’s Chronicles. The wallpaper features a variety of plants in white, red, and yellow on a pale ground, flecked with streaks, suggestive of grass. Morris initially tried to print the wallpaper himself in the firm's premises in Red Lion Square, Holborn, London, using etched zinc plates instead of wood blocks and transparent oil-based colours rather than distempers, but in 1864 he contracted out the printing of the firm’s wallpapers to Jeffrey & Co., well-established paperhanging manufacturers based in Islington, north London. Like Morris’ other papers, Daisy was block-printed by Jeffrey & Co. in distemper colours. Variants of the Daisy design were used by Morris for painted tiles and quarries and for embroideries at Red House, Bexleyheath, south London, his home from 1860 to 1865.